The Talksum Team
Just a note to wish everybody a Happy New Year and best wishes for 2014! To get you started, here are a few New Year’s facts from an Infographic offered by the History Channel of A&E Television:
Forty-four percent of American adults plan to kiss someone at the stroke of midnight.
- Sixty-one percent say a prayer on New Year’s Eve.
- Twenty-two percent admit to falling asleep before midnight.
- Forty-five percent of Americans make New Year’s resolutions. The most popular are losing weight, getting organized, spending less and saving more, staying fit and healthy, and quitting smoking.
- Of those who make New Year’s resolution goals, only 46 percent of them keep their goals past 26 weeks.
- There will be 360 million glasses of sparkling wine during the holiday season.
- Julius Caesar made January 1 the first day of the year in 46 B.C., but England and its American colonies wouldn’t do the same until 1752.
- Dating back to 1890, the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California, features floats festooned with 18 million flowers.
To see other facts, check out the History.com Infographic.
From all of us at Talksum, have a safe, prosperous, and happy New Year!